Venue Manager, National Videogame Museum
The BGI’s mission
The charity’s mission is to educate the public about the art, science, history and technology of videogames through running a museum, provision of education and research. Our independent and diverse team of staff, trustees and advisory board works to:
- Create unique interactive exhibitions about games culture
- Inspire thousands of schoolchildren in engaging workshops
- Reveal careers in the UK’s fastest growing creative industry
- Encourage everyone to play and make games
Working at the NVM
We’re a small, hardworking and diverse team that has battled through adversity to create an award-winning museum. We are creative problem solvers who believe in crafting fun and educational experiences that enrich our different communities’ lives. We’re passionate about our art form but don’t expect everyone to have deep knowledge of videogames. We’re adaptable and open to new ideas. We’re committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do. We’re looking for committed creative people to help build our organisation from this start-up phase towards a sustainable future.
Job Title: Venue Manager
Accountable To: Director of Visitor Experience
Location: The National Videogame Museum, Castle House, Angel Street, Sheffield
Salary: £20,000 – £24,000 per annum, depending on experience
Usual Working Pattern: Wednesday to Sunday inclusive
- Reporting into the Director of Visitor Experience (DVE), deliver strong standards of visitor experience at the Museum as a key role in the Visitor Experience Team;
- Manage ticketing, shop and event hire at the Museum
- Deliver operational plans, objectives and metrics for the Museum;
- Support the VE Team to grow and diversify audiences through events, experiences and community engagement.
Run day to day operations of the National Videogame Museum (NVM)
- Act as duty manager, opening and securing premises as the primary key holder and primary responder, and maintaining a high profile in public areas, especially during the busy periods.
- Ensure all services are operational at the scheduled times, including completion of operational and service checklists.
- Manage the Digitickets EPOS system and manage Gift Aid adoption by visitors, ensuring compliance with any financial and related procedures.
- Develop, suggest and implement initiatives to improve visitor experience.
Oversee the maintenance of the venue
- Ensure that all Covid, health & safety, fire and building regulations and procedures are complied with.
- Ensure that a high level of cleanliness is maintained in the venue and associated areas, managing cleaning by crew and contractors.
- Review/update risk assessments, ensure understanding amongst venue staff and record incidents in the incidents log, reporting issues to the appropriate party and ensuring their resolution.
- Manage and liaise with external suppliers as necessary.
Manage crew and volunteers
- Recruit, induct, train and roster venue staff and volunteers, undertaking regular performance reviews of staff to processes agreed with the DVE.
- By empowering staff, develop a highly motivated team, flexible and multi skilled team who take pride and ownership in their work and deliver excellent visitor experience.
- Ensure staff are punctual, in correct uniform, and comply with the team guidelines.
- Input, check and update venue staff payroll information and wages in concert with the Finance Manager.
- Invoke any disciplinary procedures as necessary, in liaison with DVE.
- Coordinate venue staff holiday requests and ensure all venue staff files and other required documentation has been provided and completed.
Oversee the retail offer
- Oversee the management, merchandising and ordering of retail stock and ancillary goods as required from nominated suppliers
- Ensure the secure and safe keeping of stock, goods and equipment, ensuring that stock is accounted for and that stock control procedures are complied with.
Manage Corporate Hospitality
- Be the point of contact for venue corporate hospitality and private hire.
- Work with the Marcomms Officer to promote the use of facilities to outside users.
- Prepare quotes for and organise venue hire.
Liaise with other BGI teams
- Attend regular meetings with the curatorial team to plan updates to the gallery and processes.
- Supply daily visitor reports to Directors.
- Proactively implement agreed strategies.
Knowledge: health and safety issues; ticketing systems; some financial reporting;
Experience: team management; managing a museum or equivalent visitor attraction; at least 2 years of working in a busy customer-focused environment, preferably with a retail component; managing and delivering a consistently high standard of customer service; safeguarding children and young people; an understanding of equal opportunities in service delivery and employment.
Skills: team leadership; maturity and responsibility; good level of numeracy, literacy and technology literacy; spreadsheets/reporting; autonomy; creative problem solving and adaptiveness; working within a creative team or industry preferable; multi-tasking under pressure; excellent communications skills; organised, ability to recognise priorities and assign tasks and deadlines.
Location: As the primary key holder you will need to be within easy travel distance of the Sheffield venue.
Deadline for Applications: 14:00 Friday 25th September
Applications should be emailed in the form of attached cover letter and CV to email@example.com with the subject: NVM Venue Manager Application [your full name]
Please help us with diversity and inclusion
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in recruitment which means ensuring that every candidate has the chance to be considered for roles in the Museum and elsewhere in the charity’s work. Please help us understand the diversity of candidates for jobs advertised by the charity by filling in this short anonymous survey.
Please note that applications without a cover letter may not be considered.
Interviews to take place in Sheffield and/or by video call as required within 3 weeks of the application deadline